Select and add a ‘VRF System’ if the HVAC System of your building includes a Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF) system. This creates the VRF outdoor unit. After creating a VRF System, create the VRF terminal units through the ‘Zone Equipment’ option in the tool. The VRF zone terminals can then be selected and assigned to blocks by ‘dragging and dropping’. See the Heating and Cooling page for additional details.
Typically, VRF Systems:
- Provide both heating and cooling
- Include a single outdoor unit that serves multiple indoor terminal units
- Include indoor units that vary refrigerant flow in evaporating coils to meet individual zone loads
- Are ductless
- Are more energy efficient than conventional heat pump systems
- Include indoor units that come in variety of configurations (e.g. ceiling, floor, wall units)
VRF systems modeled for TSPR are air cooled and not water cooled. VRF systems can be coupled with Dedicated Outdoor Air Systems (DOAS). If a DOAS system is not assigned to a block with VRF systems, ventilation will be modeled through the VRF system itself. See the Heating and Cooling page for additional details.
HVAC systems with VRF condenser units must have at least one equipment schedule entry (see the Mechanical Equipment page for details). VRF condenser unit equipment schedules may be entered and edited from either the Mechanical Equipment screen, or the Heating and Cooling screen.
Adding VRF Condenser Units for TSPR
Add VRF condenser units, then link them to Zone Equipment by following the steps below:
- Select the ‘+’ (Add) icon from the VRF Condenser Units sidebar option on the Heating and Cooling page, or the Add VRF Condenser Unit button on the Mechanical Equipment screen
- Enter a descriptive name for the condenser unit (or use the default component text)
- Create a new VRF Condenser Unit Mechanical Equipment Schedule entry by entering a descriptive name and number of pieces of equipment and rated capacity and efficiency values. Select the blue ‘Add Equipment’ button to add additional entries. or
- Assign previously created equipment by selecting the Attach icon (paper clip)
- Select the green ‘Create’ button to add the VRF Condenser Unit(s)
- Add a Zone Equipment, and enter a descriptive name (or use the default component text)
- Select VRF as the System Type. This will automatically assign VRF as the Cooling and Heating Source
- Select the VRF Condenser Unit that was created in step 1 from the Linked VRF Condenser Unit drop down menu to link to the Zone Equipment
- Create a new Zone Equipment Mechanical Equipment Schedule entry by entering a descriptive name, number of pieces of equipment and values for fan system air flow and power.
- Select the green ‘Create’ button to add the new Zone Equipment