Building Use Types
To obtain a fair score and comparison, buildings need to be categorized by use type, primarily because the assumed standard operating conditions differ among building types. For example, operating schedules and miscellaneous plug loads in schools differ substantially from those in retail establishments. In the energy asset score, the building use type classifications determine the standard operating conditions, including occupant density, plug loads, and operating schedule.
Create a use type
Document each of the use types present within your building. For example, if your building includes both Office and Retail spaces, you should have two use types listed.
Select the Use Type icon from the asset score toolbar to create or edit use types for your building.
- Click the Add Use Type button to add a use type.
- Select a Use Type from the pull-down menu. View the available use types to help decide which Use Type to select.
- Click the Add Use Type button to save your changes.
Assign use types to building blocks
A building must have at least one use type, and every block must have an assigned use type. To assign a use type to a building block:
- Select the Use Types icon from the asset score toolbar.
- Select a use type from the use type(s) that have been entered and are listed on the left sidebar.
- Drag and drop onto a block.
- Repeat until all of the blocks have been assigned a use type.
Note: After assigning a use types to blocks, the block display will include different colors associated with the assigned use type(s). Blocks that have not been assigned a use type will remain gray.